Bug #3941

Segmentation fault ruby 1.9.2p0 [x86_64-linux]

Added by mahmoud said about 5 years ago. Updated over 4 years ago.

ruby -v:ruby 1.9.2p0 [x86_64-linux] Backport:



I'm using The latest ruby 1.9.2 via rvm. on my ubuntu 10.04 64bit AMD machine.
In my rails project. I have a rake tasks that scrapes some web pages using curl based libraries. It randomly fails with the following stack trace

h3. Error message:

/usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-head/gems/activerecord-2.3.8/lib/active_record/attribute_methods.rb:272: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18 revision 29034) [x86_64-linux]
-- control frame ----------
c:0082 p:0034 s:0332 b:0331 l:000330 d:000330 METHOD /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-head/gems/activerecord-2.3.8/lib/active_record/attribute_methods.rb:272
c:0081 p:0013 s:0325 b:0325 l:000324 d:000324 METHOD /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-head/gems/activerecord-2.3.8/lib/active_record/base.rb:2807
c:0080 p:0041 s:0320 b:0318 l:000309 d:000317 BLOCK /usr/local/rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-head/gems/activerecord-2.3.8/lib/active_record/base.rb:2889

Attached is the full stack trace and control frame data

ruby-segmentation-fault-report.txt Magnifier - full error information (23.3 KB) mahmoud said, 10/13/2010 06:51 PM

other-segfault-report.txt Magnifier (30.9 KB) Ryan Duryea, 11/16/2010 05:15 AM

yet-another-segfault-report.txt Magnifier (35.3 KB) Ryan Duryea, 11/16/2010 05:32 AM


#1 Updated by Yui NARUSE about 5 years ago

  • ruby -v set to ruby 1.9.2p0 [x86_64-linux]



#2 Updated by Yui NARUSE about 5 years ago

Can you show reproducible code?
And can you show bucktrace made by a ruby built with -g option.

#3 Updated by Yui NARUSE about 5 years ago

  • Status changed from Open to Feedback



#4 Updated by Ryan Duryea about 5 years ago

I think my install of RVM has ruby built with -ggdb so I'm going to attach my own report on the chance that it is helpful.

Until today, I have never encountered this problem. I've been running the same version of ruby for many weeks (I don't recall exactly, but it's been over a month). The only change I can think of is that I updated to Mac OS X 10.6.5 over the weekend. After I encountered the problem this morning, I completely wiped out and reinstalled rvm and all my gems, but the problem persists.

So far the problem seems limited to one action in one controller in my rails app. Even when I pass identical requests to my rails app, roughly two out of three requests will succeed and one will fail. Because of the problem's intermittent nature, I have yet to isolate a good piece of reproducible code.

#5 Updated by Ryan Duryea about 5 years ago

I ran into the same problem running the same action as I mentioned before, but the segfault appears to occur in a different place. I've attached another report.

#6 Updated by Nobuyoshi Nakada about 5 years ago

  • Status changed from Feedback to Closed

Thank you.
The backtrace showed that it's a duplicate of #3910 and so on.

Also available in: Atom PDF