Bug #3780

RDoc::Parser.binary? broken for some utf8 files longer than 1024 bytes

Added by Stephen Bannasch over 3 years ago. Updated almost 3 years ago.

[ruby-core:32003]
Status:Closed
Priority:Low
Assignee:Eric Hodel
Category:lib
Target version:1.9.3
ruby -v:ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18 revision 29036) [x86_64-darwin10.4.0] Backport:

Description

=begin
RDoc truncates files at 1024 bytes when checking if the file is binary. This will invalidate the file encoding if the file is truncated in the middle of a utf8 char and cause RDoc to exit.

I found this problem when running rdoc on the ruby 1.9.2 source.

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18 revision 29036) [x86_64-darwin10.4.0]
$ rdoc --version
rdoc 2.5.11

More description of the bug and a patch with a failing test is on this issue in RubyForge rdoc issue tracker.

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=28525&group_id=627&atid=2472

The same issue appears to be in the 1_9 source, see: http://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/lib/rdoc/parser.rb#L70

I find it confusing knowing where to create an RDoc issue: RubyForge or here -- so I've created an issue in both places.

This gist: http://gist.github.com/561350 (possible_fix.rb) shows how I changed RDoc::Parser.binary? locally -- but I don't think it is correct to classify all utf8 files which are invalid when truncated at 1024 bytes as binary.

That same gist (showparsingerror.rb) also shows another strategy for solving the invalid encoding issue but there are probably better ways to determine if a file is binary.
=end

History

#1 Updated by Aaron Patterson over 3 years ago

  • Assignee set to Eric Hodel

=begin

=end

#2 Updated by Eric Hodel over 3 years ago

=begin
RDoc 2.5.11 is newer than the version of RDoc than ships with Ruby 1.9.2.

RDoc 2.5.8 ships with Ruby 1.9.2.

Can you confirm that this bug exists in the default RDoc that ships with 1.9.2?
=end

#3 Updated by Stephen Bannasch over 3 years ago

=begin
Interesting ... the problem does not occur when running rdoc included in ruby built with the v192_0 tag. I had thought it would -- but the RDoc::Parser.binary? method I reference above which I believe causes the problem: http://github.com/ruby/ruby/blob/trunk/lib/rdoc/parser.rb#L70 is from trunk -- appears to be identical??

$ ./bin/ruby --version
ruby 1.9.2p0 (2010-08-18 revision 29036) [x86_64-darwin10.4.0]

$ ./bin/rdoc --version
rdoc 2.5.8

$ rm -rf ~/Desktop/rdoc; ./bin/rdoc -o ~/Desktop/rdoc ~/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/ruby/1.9.1/
Parsing sources...
/Users/stephen/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/ruby/1.9.1/irb/inspector.rb:36:36: Couldn't find INSPECTORS. Assuming it's a module
/Users/stephen/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/ruby/1.9.1/singleton.rb:238:11: Couldn't find Yup. Assuming it's a module
/Users/stephen/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/ruby/1.9.1/tk/font.rb:41:27: Couldn't find SYSTEMFONTNAMES. Assuming it's a module
/Users/stephen/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/ruby/1.9.1/tk.rb:67:30: Couldn't find TkCMDTBL. Assuming it's a module
/Users/stephen/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/ruby/1.9.1/tk.rb:72:31: Couldn't find Tk
WINDOWS. Assuming it's a module
100% [877/877] /Users/stephen/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/ruby/1.9.1/yaml.rb

Generating Darkfish...

Files: 877
Classes: 1647 ( 1138 undocumented)
Constants: 1894 ( 1630 undocumented)
Modules: 444 ( 314 undocumented)
Methods: 12982 ( 9305 undocumented)
26.99% documented

Elapsed: 285.4s

=end

#4 Updated by Eric Hodel over 3 years ago

  • Category set to lib
  • Status changed from Open to Assigned
  • Priority changed from Normal to Low
  • Target version set to 1.9.3

=begin
Ok, thanks for the confirmation of where the problem occurs.

I've been adding proper encoding support to RDoc and it reveals that the current implementation is naive.

The next release should work properly on 1.9.
=end

#5 Updated by Eric Hodel about 3 years ago

  • Status changed from Assigned to Closed

=begin
Fixed by import of RDoc 3.5
=end

Also available in: Atom PDF