Organize gc.c a bit
- Move immutable fields from struct heaps_slot and struct sorted_heaps_slot into struct heaps_header. One exception is limit field, but it starts to be mutable just before freeing a heaps_header, so that it is not big issue.
- Embed bitmap into struct heaps_slot
free_unused_heap, so that it will not be called on every GC round, but only when page should be freed. While
free_unused_heapsdoes not consume much time (it is invisible in profiler), but regular application has no need in calling this function every time.
#3 Updated by Yura Sokolov almost 4 years ago
I'm not sure that 3. improves a performance, because it's using binary search each one slot.
free_unused_heaps runs on each GC and does linear scan, and
free_unused_heap runs only on heap's freeing.
Heap freeing occurs rare in typical long running application, so that it is possibly that linear scan for each GC is overkill.
But I could not prove it :)
#4 Updated by Narihiro Nakamura almost 4 years ago
- Status changed from Assigned to Closed
- % Done changed from 0 to 100
This issue was solved with changeset r37613.
Yura, thank you for reporting this issue.
Your contribution to Ruby is greatly appreciated.
May Ruby be with you.
- gc.c: move immutable fields from struct heaps_slot and struct sorted_heaps_slot into struct heaps_header. Based on a patch from Sokolov Yura [Feature #6199]