Bug #8803

Another buffer overflow

Added by a s 8 months ago. Updated 5 months ago.

[ruby-core:56746]
Status:Closed
Priority:Normal
Assignee:-
Category:-
Target version:-
ruby -v:ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570) [x86_64-linux] Backport:1.9.3: UNKNOWN, 2.0.0: UNKNOWN

Description

Hello guys, i was running a little code written in ruby for a few minutes (more exactly https://github.com/Hood3dRob1n/Ding.rb/blob/master/ding2.rb) when it crashed, reason buffer overflow. I did increase opened files limit on my Ubuntu Release 12.04 (precise) 64-bit (Kernel Linux 3.2.0-40-generic) ulimit -n 20000 but no effect.thx in advance

rubylog.txt Magnifier (11.4 KB) a s, 08/20/2013 05:23 AM

History

#1 Updated by Eric Wong 8 months ago

"user021 (a s)" user021@hushmail.com wrote:

Bug #8803: Another buffer overflow
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8803
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570) [x86_64-linux]

I did increase opened files limit on my Ubuntu Release 12.04 (precise) 64-bit (Kernel Linux 3.2.0-40-generic) ulimit -n 20000 but no effect.thx in advance

Actually, this looks like problem with FORTIFYSOURCE usage in Ubuntu.
Please try 1.9.3-p448 or 2.0.0-p247, which contains workaround:
(r39985 in SVN)

#2 Updated by a s 8 months ago

normalperson (Eric Wong) wrote:

"user021 (a s)" user021@hushmail.com wrote:

Bug #8803: Another buffer overflow
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8803
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570) [x86_64-linux]

I did increase opened files limit on my Ubuntu Release 12.04 (precise) 64-bit (Kernel Linux 3.2.0-40-generic) ulimit -n 20000 but no effect.thx in advance

Actually, this looks like problem with FORTIFYSOURCE usage in Ubuntu.
Please try 1.9.3-p448 or 2.0.0-p247, which contains workaround:
(r39985 in SVN)

This might sound silly but how can i run my code with the new ruby 1.9.3-p448 that i installed using rbenv. when i do 'ruby -v' shows the old version and 'rbenv version' shows the newer one.thx

#3 Updated by Eric Wong 8 months ago

"user021 (a s)" user021@hushmail.com wrote:

This might sound silly but how can i run my code with the new ruby
1.9.3-p448 that i installed using rbenv. when i do 'ruby -v' shows the
old version and 'rbenv version' shows the newer one.thx

I have no familarity with rbenv/rvm, but with any autotooled package,
I will use:

./configure --prefix=/my/choice/of/location $any_other_args
make
make install

And add /my/choice/of/location/bin to the beginning of my $PATH. I do
this for Ruby, and a bunch of other non-Ruby packages I track the
upstream development of.

rbenv/rvm authors should be able to help you if you choose to stick
with them.

#4 Updated by a s 8 months ago

normalperson (Eric Wong) wrote:

"user021 (a s)" user021@hushmail.com wrote:

This might sound silly but how can i run my code with the new ruby
1.9.3-p448 that i installed using rbenv. when i do 'ruby -v' shows the
old version and 'rbenv version' shows the newer one.thx

I have no familarity with rbenv/rvm, but with any autotooled package,
I will use:

./configure --prefix=/my/choice/of/location $anyotherargs
make
make install

And add /my/choice/of/location/bin to the beginning of my $PATH. I do
this for Ruby, and a bunch of other non-Ruby packages I track the
upstream development of.

rbenv/rvm authors should be able to help you if you choose to stick
with them.

Yeah using ruby 1.9.3-p448 fixed my problem, thx alot.

#5 Updated by Hiroshi SHIBATA 5 months ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed

Also available in: Atom PDF