configure.in still needed ?!
When compiling trunk on cygwin, I get the following error:
make: Entering directory '/cygdrive/c/Data/ruby/ext/rbconfig/sizeof' make: *** No rule to make target '../../.././configure.in', needed by 'sizes.c'. Stop. make: Leaving directory '/cygdrive/c/Data/ruby/ext/rbconfig/sizeof' make: *** [exts.mk:256: ext/rbconfig/sizeof/all] Error 2 make: Leaving directory '/cygdrive/c/Data/ruby' make: *** [uncommon.mk:236: build-ext] Error 2
(Only showing the last few lines, up to that point, everything seems to run smoothly.)
It looks like something somewhere still wants configure.in, although we now use configure.ac.
#3 [ruby-core:83098] Updated by duerst (Martin Dürst) about 1 year ago
nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote:
./config.status, Makefile should be updated.
I get the following ouput when I run
./config.status (in the main directory):
config.status: creating GNUmakefile
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating ruby-2.5.pc
Still, when running
make, I get exactly the same output.
Still, when using
ag (https://geoff.greer.fm/ag/), I cannot find the string "config.in" anywhere but in old changelog and contributors files.
#5 [ruby-core:83173] Updated by duerst (Martin Dürst) about 1 year ago
kernigh (George Koehler) wrote:
The file ext/rbconfig/sizeof/depend should contain the string
configure.in. This was changed by git commit 3133a5c (svn r60062). I wonder if your copy of that file is too old?
Thanks for this hint. I checked ext/rbconfig/sizeof/depend, but it had
configure.ac. I'm already on r60132 now, and that file seems up to date. However, this led me to check the other files in that directory. I found that ext/rbconfig/sizeof/Makefile still contains two instances of
configure.in. I must have overlooked these instances in my initial search. In context, the code was as follows:
sizes.c: $(top_srcdir)/tool/generic_erb.rb \ $(top_srcdir)/template/sizes.c.tmpl \ $(top_srcdir)/configure.in \ $(top_srcdir)/ext/rbconfig/sizeof/extconf.rb $(Q) $(RUBY) $(top_srcdir)/tool/generic_erb.rb --output=$@ \ $(top_srcdir)/template/sizes.c.tmpl \ $(top_srcdir)/configure.in \ $(top_srcdir)/ext/rbconfig/sizeof/extconf.rb
I changed these two instances manually. That seems to have solved my problem. I'm leaving this issue open so that Nobu can check whether there's some missing piece that let that Makefile stay unupdated.