Project

General

Profile

Actions

Misc #19030

closed

[ANN] Migrate lists.ruby-lang.org to Google Groups

Added by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 2 months ago. Updated 7 days ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
[ruby-core:110145]

Description

Our mailing-list server that is lists.ruby-lang.org is too old. And it's difficult to replace new server on AWS because building mail-service on AWS has a lot of limitations. I and @shugo (Shugo Maeda) decided to migrate lists.ruby-lang.org to Google Groups.

  • In Nov-Dec 2022, we migrate the current list member to Google Groups of our google workspace.
  • I hope to migrate to the last list-id, But I'm not sure we can do that.
  • What will be used as an archive viewer has yet to be TBD status.
    • blade is still down.
    • I prefer plain text viewer like blade instead of google groups. Should we build it?

I will update this plan in this thread.

Actions #1

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 2 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 2 months ago

We have the following lists.

          JRuby - JRuby project mailing list
      ruby-core - Ruby developers
       ruby-cvs - Ruby commit report
        ruby-de - Deutschsprachige Ruby-Mailingliste
       ruby-dev - Ruby developers (Japanese)
       ruby-doc - Ruby documentation
       ruby-ext - Ruby extension library developers (Japanese)
        ruby-fr - Ruby users (French)
      ruby-list - Ruby users (Japanese)
      ruby-math - Mathematical programming in Ruby (Japanese)
      ruby-talk - Ruby users

I will migrate to a mailing-list that doesn't have archives with blade to Google groups at first.

Targeted lists are

          JRuby - JRuby project mailing list
       ruby-cvs - Ruby commit report
        ruby-de - Deutschsprachige Ruby-Mailingliste
       ruby-doc - Ruby documentation
        ruby-fr - Ruby users (French)

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 28 days ago

I migrated ruby-de, ruby-fr, ruby-doc and JRuby lists to google groups today.

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 19 days ago

I also migrated ruby-cvs, ruby-ext and ruby-math.

and testing to post ruby-core and its integration of redmine.

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 12 days ago

I update a migration plan:

  • ruby-core, ruby-dev, ruby-list, ruby-talk and ruby-doc will move to https://mailmanlists.net/
  • Other lists have been migrated to google groups

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 12 days ago

I migrated ruby-core list to mailmanlist and confirm to work redmine integration.

Sorry to send debug message for this.

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 9 days ago

I and @shugo (Shugo Maeda) have been migrated all of mailing-lists to google groups and mailmanlists.net.

      ruby-core - Ruby developers
       ruby-dev - Ruby developers (Japanese)
       ruby-doc - Ruby documentation
      ruby-list - Ruby users (Japanese)
      ruby-talk - Ruby users

Unfortunately, above lists couldn't migrate to google groups. So, I did choose to stay mailman provided by mailmanlists.net.

mailmanlists.net provide the official archive built by hyperkitty, (demo site is here). I'm considering to move it from http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/.

And now, we will get the error notification from notifications@rubytalk.discoursemail.com when we send a message to ruby-talk. I shared this status to @sam.saffron (Sam Saffron) .

I'll close this ticket after resolving discourse integration. Thanks all.

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) 8 days ago

  • Status changed from Assigned to Closed

The issue of discourse mirror for ruby-talk is resolved. https://rubytalk.org/t/i-sent-this-to-the-list-but-got-this-error-here/76102/2

Unfortunately, our list addresses are changed ruby-lang.org to ml.ruby-lang.org. And List-Id is also changed like ruby-core.ruby-lang.org to ruby-core.ml.ruby-lang.org. You may update filter configuration for your mailer.

Updated by vo.x (Vit Ondruch) 7 days ago

The emails are now containing too much empty lines. It already starts with the Redmine header which looks like:

----------------------------------------

Bug #19158: Ruby 3.1.3 installs wrong gemspec for debug gem

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/19158



* Author: deivid (David Rodríguez)

* Status: Open

* Priority: Normal

* ruby -v: ruby 3.1.3p185 (2022-11-24 revision 1a6b16756e) [arm64-darwin22]

* Backport: 2.7: UNKNOWN, 3.0: UNKNOWN, 3.1: UNKNOWN

----------------------------------------

And the preformatted content is mostly unreadable due to this :/

Actions

Also available in: Atom PDF

Like0
Like0Like0Like0Like0Like0Like0Like0Like0Like0