Bug #8486

Random segmentation fault

Added by Emmanuel Bourgerie almost 2 years ago. Updated over 1 year ago.

[ruby-core:55297]
Status:Feedback
Priority:Normal
Assignee:-
ruby -v:ruby 1.9.3p429 (2013-05-15 revision 40747) [x86_64-darwin11.4.2] Backport:1.9.3: UNKNOWN, 2.0.0: UNKNOWN

Description

Hello,

Before starting, this is my first bug report here, feel free to tell me if I need to add/modify anything.

I came across a weird segmentation fault, and I apologies for not being able to be more precise about what is happening.
Although I have a how-to-reproduce, the error happens at random points in either rails or gems.
I have several RoR applications, and this one is the only having this problem.

Environment : MacOS, see ruby -v, rvm (stable) and I attached my Gemfile.lock and CrashReporter.

How to reproduce :
1. rails s
2. Open localhost:3000 in browser (is OK)
3. Reload

You get the segmentation fault. Always the same : first loading is correct, then the second fails (even if I restart rails in between).

It is not on one component, nonetheless I have the same filenames if I try again (line of code between parenthesis) :
* gems/dalli-2.3.0/lib/dalli/socket.rb:31 (value << kgio_read!(count - value.bytesize))
* gems/activesupport-3.2.13/lib/active_support/core_ext/hash/except.rb:15 (dup.except!(*keys))
* gems/actionpack-3.2.13/lib/action_view/renderer/renderer.rb:51 (@partial_renderer ||= PartialRenderer.new(@lookup_context))
* gems/activesupport-3.2.13/lib/active_support/core_ext/module/remove_method.rb:4 (remove_method(method))
* code/local/app/helpers/cms_helper.rb:152 (prev_char_ind = paragraph[0..prev
char_ind].rindex(" ") - 1)
* gems/haml-3.1.4/lib/haml/filters.rb:214 (#{text.rstrip.gsub("\n", "\n ")})
* gems/rack-mini-profiler-0.1.23/Ruby/lib/mini_profiler/sql_timer_struct.rb:15 (Kernel.caller.each do |ln|)

As you can see, I can't isolate some sort of "pattern".

Gemfile.lock - Gemfile.lock (6.23 KB) Emmanuel Bourgerie, 06/04/2013 08:19 PM

ruby_2013-06-04-121437_News-MacBook-Pro.crash - CrashReporter (28.6 KB) Emmanuel Bourgerie, 06/04/2013 08:19 PM

History

#1 Updated by Emmanuel Bourgerie almost 2 years ago

I forgot to mention : I tried with ruby 2.0.0 and updated bundle, changed nothing...

#2 Updated by Zachary Scott almost 2 years ago

Can you reproduce without rails and ruby 2.0.0-p195

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013, manudwarf (Emmanuel Bourgerie) wrote:

Issue #8486 has been updated by manudwarf (Emmanuel Bourgerie).

I forgot to mention : I tried with ruby 2.0.0 and updated bundle, changed

nothing...

Bug #8486: Random segmentation fault
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8486#change-39689

Author: manudwarf (Emmanuel Bourgerie)
Status: Open
Priority: Normal
Assignee:
Category:
Target version:
ruby -v: ruby 1.9.3p429 (2013-05-15 revision 40747) [x86_64-darwin11.4.2]
Backport: 1.9.3: UNKNOWN, 2.0.0: UNKNOWN

Hello,

Before starting, this is my first bug report here, feel free to tell me if
I need to add/modify anything.

I came across a weird segmentation fault, and I apologies for not being
able to be more precise about what is happening.
Although I have a how-to-reproduce, the error happens at random points in
either rails or gems.
I have several RoR applications, and this one is the only having this
problem.

Environment : MacOS, see ruby -v, rvm (stable) and I attached my
Gemfile.lock and CrashReporter.

How to reproduce :
1. rails s
2. Open localhost:3000 in browser (is OK)
3. Reload

You get the segmentation fault. Always the same : first loading is
correct, then the second fails (even if I restart rails in between).

It is not on one component, nonetheless I have the same filenames if I try
again (line of code between parenthesis) :
* gems/dalli-2.3.0/lib/dalli/socket.rb:31 (value << kgio_read!(count -
value.bytesize))
* gems/activesupport-3.2.13/lib/active_support/core_ext/hash/except.rb:15
(dup.except!(*keys))
* gems/actionpack-3.2.13/lib/action_view/renderer/renderer.rb:51
(@partial_renderer ||= PartialRenderer.new(@lookup_context))
*
gems/activesupport-3.2.13/lib/active_support/core_ext/module/remove_method.rb:4
(remove_method(method))
* code/local/app/helpers/cms_helper.rb:152 (prev_char_ind =
paragraph[0..prev
char_ind].rindex(" ") - 1)
* gems/haml-3.1.4/lib/haml/filters.rb:214 (#{text.rstrip.gsub("\n", "\n
")})
*
gems/rack-mini-profiler-0.1.23/Ruby/lib/mini_profiler/sql_timer_struct.rb:15
(Kernel.caller.each do |ln|)

As you can see, I can't isolate some sort of "pattern".

http://bugs.ruby-lang.org/

#3 Updated by Hiroshi SHIBATA over 1 year ago

  • Status changed from Open to Feedback

Also available in: Atom PDF