Project

General

Profile

Misc #17019

DevelopersMeeting20200720Japan

Added by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 1 month ago. Updated 18 days ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
[ruby-core:99085]

Description

The next dev meeting

Date: 2020/07/20 13:00-17:00
Place/Sign-up/Agenda/Log: https://github.com/ruby/dev-meeting-log/blob/master/DevelopersMeeting20200720Japan.md

  • Dev meeting IS NOT a decision-making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
  • Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
  • Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
  • We will write a log about the discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
  • All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
  • The date, time and place are scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.
  • DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.

Call for agenda items

If you have a ticket that you want matz and committers to discuss, please post it into this ticket in the following format:

* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name)
  * Comment (A summary of the ticket, why you put this ticket here, what point should be discussed, etc.)

Example:

* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1)
  * I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss this feature.
  • Comment deadline: 2020/07/13 (one week before the meeting)
  • The format is strict. We'll use this script to automatically create an markdown-style agenda. We may ignore a comment that does not follow the format.
  • Your comment is mandatory. We cannot read all discussion of the ticket in a limited time.

Related issues

Related to Ruby master - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions
#1

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 1 month ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 1 month ago

  • [Feature #17018] Show cfunc frames in rb_profile_frames() (mame)
    • My colleagues want this feature because it will make it easier to investigate an application bottleneck.

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) about 1 month ago

  • [Feature #16923] Switch reserved for numbered parameter warning to SyntaxError (jeremyevans0)
    • Is it OK to commit the patch?
  • [Bug #9790] Zlib::GzipReader only decompressed the first of concatenated files (jeremyevans0)
    • As I mentioned in the ticket, transparently operating like zcat would be very invasive and would break existing code (non gzip-data after gzip data).
    • I implemented Zlib::GzipReader.zcat, is it OK to add that (I would still prefer adding Zlib::GzipReader.each_file)?
  • [Feature #16470] Issue with nanoseconds in Time#inspect (jeremyevans0)
    • I have added a pull request which uses Float#rationalize instead of Float#to_r for float conversions.
    • Float#rationalize is generally slower than Float#to_r, but in this use case it ends up being faster.
    • Float#rationalize and Float#to_r have the same accuracy, as floats are inexact.
    • Is it OK to commit the patch?

Updated by shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) about 1 month ago

  • [Feature #17004] Provide a way for methods to omit their return value (shyouhei)
    • Is it a nice trick that we want to have, or a bad tool that is too easy to be abused?

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 1 month ago

  • [Feature #17000] 2.7.2 turns off deprecation warnings by default (mame)
    • It is already decided that we fix, but it has been discussed how to fix. (Nagachika-san will not attend the meeting, but I'd like to hear opinions from committers.)

Updated by parker (Parker Finch) about 1 month ago

  • [Feature #17016] Enumerable#scan_left (parker)
    • There is a pull request to implement #scan_left, i.e. the scan operation in functional programming.
    • The scan operation is especially valuable with lazy enumerables because #inject cannot be lazy.
    • Should a #scan_left method be added to Enumerable?

Updated by tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson) 27 days ago

  • [Feature #13381] Expose rb_fstring and its family to C extensions (tenderlove)
    • Can we expose the fstring family of functions? It seems the answer is "yes" but we need a better name (is this the current status?)

Updated by mrkn (Kenta Murata) 24 days ago

  • [Feature #16812] Allow slicing arrays with ArithmeticSequence
    • I made a patch.
  • [Feature #14722] python's buffer protocol clone
    • I made a implementation proposal.

Updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) 22 days ago

  • [Feature #16989] Sets need ♥️, aka the "Set Program" (marcandre)
    • Bring Set into core
    • Insure interoperability with Array (e.g so array & set works and is efficient)
    • Shorthand syntax for static frozen sets of string/symbols (e.g. %ws{hello world})
#10

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 20 days ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#11

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 18 days ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed

Also available in: Atom PDF