multiarch support enhancements
Hi, I am one the maintainers of Ruby in Debian, thanks a lot for adding multiarch support.
While preparing packages for Ruby 2.0, I found two issues:
1) On a x86_64 Debian system with Linux kernel, Ruby will say that the architecture is "x86_64-linux", but the standard architecture name for such a system, as used in multiarch-enabled packages, is "x86_64-linux-gnu". In order to not break other systems, I suggest adding a --with-multiarchname argument to ./configure so that the Debian package can pass in the appropriate architecture name during ./configure stage.
2) the pkg-config data also has to be installed inside multiarch paths.
I am attaching patches for both issues.
#3 Updated by terceiro (Antonio Terceiro) about 4 years ago
Attaching a patch that fixes the path for installing both the libraries and the pkg-config data. It supersedes 0002-Install-pkgconfig-data-to-architecture-specific-path.patch attached before.
#6 [ruby-core:52498] Updated by terceiro (Antonio Terceiro) about 4 years ago
mame (Yusuke Endoh) wrote:
Doesn't Vit's comment help you?
I tried --host= but it does not have any effect on the paths used in the installation. In this case we really need to use the standard architecture name for $arch.
And please attach the patch for "another issue" into the ticket #7867.
Fair enough - just did it. But note that such patch fixes #7867 and stuff I am reporting here (i.e. the install path for libraries (.so, .a) into multiarch paths.
#11 Updated by nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) about 4 years ago
- Status changed from Assigned to Closed
- % Done changed from 0 to 100
This issue was solved with changeset r39333.
Antonio, thank you for reporting this issue.
Your contribution to Ruby is greatly appreciated.
May Ruby be with you.
configure.in: adjust libdirname
- configure.in (libdirname): adjust library path name which libruby files will be installed. [Bug #7874]
- tool/rbinstall.rb (libdir): ditto.
#13 Updated by nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) about 4 years ago
- Status changed from Open to Closed
- % Done changed from 50 to 100
#17 [ruby-core:52622] Updated by terceiro (Antonio Terceiro) about 4 years ago
With the current state in trunk it does not build anymore:
$ autoreconf && ./configure --target=x86_64-linux-gnu --enable-multiarch
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating ruby-2.0.pc
Variable 'archlibdir' not defined in './ruby.tmp.pc'