Project

General

Profile

Misc #16393

DevelopersMeeting20191220Japan

Added by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 11 months ago. Updated 10 months ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
[ruby-core:96070]

Description

Please comment on your favorite ticket numbers you want to ask to discuss with your SHORT comment or summary.
(your summary/comment will help us because we don't need to read all of the ticket comments)

DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.


Date: 2019/12/20 13:00-17:00
Place, Sign-up, and Log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/18v0UWXwwKaSvOFp1UQbEnt_4p0BMTdoGgcNfjyAWTKs

NOTES

  • Dev meeting IS NOT a decision-making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
  • Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
  • Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
  • We will write a log about the discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
  • All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
  • The date, time and place are scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.

Agenda

Next dev-meeting

About 2.7 timeframe

Check security tickets

Discussion


Please comment on your favorite ticket we need to discuss with the following format.

* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name)
  * your comment why you want to put this ticket here if you want to add.

Your comment is very important if you are no attendee because we can not ask why you want to discuss it.

Example:

* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1)
  * I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss this feature.

Please follow the comment format strictly! We'll use this script to automatically create an markdown-style agenda. We may ignore a comment that violates the format.

A short summary of a ticket is strongly recommended. We cannot read all discussion of the ticket in a limited time.
A proposal is often changed during the discussion, so it is very helpful to summarize the latest/current proposal, post it as a comment in the ticket, and write a link to the comment.


Related issues

Related to Ruby master - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions
#1

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 11 months ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 11 months ago

Carry over:

  • [Feature #16264] Real "callable instance method" object. .:method to be a first-class thing, instead of Symbol#to_proc trick (zverok)

    • This proposal would make sense only if .: would not be reverted (which, to the best of my understaning, is now doubtful)
  • [Misc #16291] Introduce support for resize in rb_ary_freeze and prefer internal use of rb_ary_freeze and rb_str_freeze for String and Array types (lourens)

    • Builds onto the capacity shrinking feature introduced by rb_str_freeze, targeting Array
    • Many internal uses that froze String types did not use the rb_str_freeze variation and could not benefit from resizing capacity on freeze
    • Implemented the same for Array
    • Let Array#freeze call rb_ary_freeze to expose the shrinking capability to user code too (as recommended by Shyouhei) for parity with String#freeze already doing the same
  • [Bug #15620] Block argument usage affects lambda semantic (alanwu)

    • I find the current behaviour unreasonably confusing and would like to see improvement, even though the bug doesn't really show up in the real world often.
    • I have a pull request which restores the behaviour found in Ruby 2.4.x and warns about it, based off of matz's comment in [ruby-core:94054].
    • Could someone confirm that is the desired fix? If it is the fix we want, could someone review the PR?
  • [Feature #16274] Transform hash keys by a hash (sawa)

    • Easily rename hash keys that do not follow a rule
  • [Misc #16375] Right size regular expression compile buffers for literal regexes and on Regexp#freeze (lourens)

    • Builds on Misc #16291 , I think there's potential to apply this pattern to other types at hooks outlined at the end of the issue
    • A large set of literal regular expressions are quite common in Rails applications (mostly framework, but also application and dependencies)
    • In my Redmine boot test was able to shave 300kb off just excess regex buffer capacity
  • [Misc #16260] Symbol#to_proc behaves like lambda (zverok)

    • (dummy comment)

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 11 months ago

  • [Bug #6087] How should inherited methods deal with return values of their own subclass? (mame)
    • Matz said "We will fix this (to consistently return Arrays) in 3.0." seven years ago. Now is the time. Final confirmation.
#4

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 11 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#5

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 11 months ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 11 months ago

NOTE: Please follow the comment format strictly!

I've created a script to automatically create an markdown-style agenda.

https://gist.github.com/mame/b0390509ce1491b43610b9ebb665eb86

We may ignore a comment that violates the format.

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) 11 months ago

  • [Feature #14183] "Real" keyword argument (jeremyevans0)
    • Is it OK to merge branch to remove deprecated support for positional hash <-> keyword conversion after 2.7 released?
  • [Bug #11022] opening an eigenclass does not change the class variable definition context (jeremyevans0)
    • Discussed during September dev meeting, matz wanted to consider for a while. Has a decision been made?
  • [Bug #7844] include/prepend satisfiable module dependencies are not satisfied (jeremyevans0)
    • Discussed during September dev meeting, matz wanted to consider for a while. Has a decision been made?
  • [Bug #14240] warn four special variables: $; $, $/ $\ (jeremyevans0)
    • Do we still want to warn regarding these variables? If so, should the warnings be during parsing or at runtime (if variables are aliased and then modified)?
  • [Feature #10463] :~@ and :!@ are not parsed correctly (jeremyevans0)
    • matz decided in July that def ~@ and def !@ should continue to work. However, can we fix the parser to not treat :~@ and :!@ as :~ and :!?

Updated by byroot (Jean Boussier) 11 months ago

  • [Feature #16377] Regexp literals should be frozen (byroot)
    • Regexp literals always reference the same mutable instance. This allow to leak global state with instance_variable_set
    • Change already accepted by Matz about 2 years ago: https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/8948#note-14, but then nothing happened.

Updated by alanwu (Alan Wu) 11 months ago

  • [Bug #16260] Symbol#to_proc behaves like lambda, but doesn't acknowledge it (alanwu)
    • This should make Proc#lambda? more accurate.
  • [Bug #16406] (lambda_proc << normal_proc).lambda? should return false (alanwu)
    • I think this is more intuitive than the current behavior.

Updated by znz (Kazuhiro NISHIYAMA) 11 months ago

  • [Feature #16419] FrozenError.new ignores receiver: (znz)
    • It seems that no one have strong opinion. So I want matz to decide.
  • [Feature #16420] Warning[:experimental]=false (znz)
    • I heard many warnings may make users trying pattern matching syntax are fewer.

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

alanwu (Alan Wu)

Please add (alanwu) in the next time. My agenda generator overlooks your post.

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

  • [Bug #8841] Module#included_modules and prepended modules (mame)

    • Module#include? and Module#included_modules regard prepended modules as included (not well documented); Module#included is not called when the module is prepended. Is this right?
    • IMO, changing the behavior is no longer acceptable (without any actual trouble). How about just changing the document?
  • [Feature #8026] Need Module#prepended_modules (mame)

    • It is accepted six years ago, but not implemented yet. I've never heard any actual trouble, but should we still add the feature?

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

  • [Bug #9815] attr_reader doesn't warn on a uninitialized instance variable (mame)
    • A reader method defined by attr_reader :foo is not warned as "instance variable @foo not initialized". Is it intentional?

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

  • [Bug #10388] Operator precedence problem in multiple assignment (massign) (mame)

    • "a, b = c = 1, 2 is currently taken as a, b = (c = 1), 2; I'd expect it to be taken as a, b = (c = 1, 2)." Jeremy gave a try to implement but seemed difficult due to the limitation of LALR(1) parser. Let's give up.
  • [Bug #10475] Array#flatten should not accept a nil argument (mame)

    • Should we add a document that Array#flatten accepts nil? Negative argument too?

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

[Bug #10929] NilClass#to_proc and & don't mix? (mame)

  • I think it is not worth adding.

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

  • [Bug #11014] String#partition doesn't return correct result on zero-width match (mame)
    • I'd like to confirm if the current behavior is inteneded.

Updated by soutaro (Soutaro Matsumoto) 10 months ago

I'd like to discuss about type signature integration for Ruby3. I plan to discuss in this meeting but not trying to make some decisions today. Asking for feedbacks to make a concrete proposal for the next meeting or else.

A doc is available to introduce what we have been doing. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QVma3srpqGkGgL37yPEK5LoW6tzI09UIaOL-vh-vgUQ/edit#

Updated by osyo (manga osyo) 10 months ago

  • [Feature #16432] Using _1 inside binding.irb will cause unintended behavior(osyo)
    • Calling binding.irb in a block that uses _1 and using _1 in irb will cause unintended behavior.
    • Should it be a runtime error?
#19

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 10 months ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed

Also available in: Atom PDF