Project

General

Profile

Actions

Misc #18954

closed

DevMeeting-2022-08-18

Added by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 2 months ago. Updated about 1 month ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
[ruby-core:109423]

Description

The next dev meeting

Date: 2022/08/18 13:00-17:00 (JST)
Log: https://github.com/ruby/dev-meeting-log/blob/master/DevMeeting-2022-08-18.md

  • Dev meeting IS NOT a decision-making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
  • Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
  • Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
  • We will write a record of the discussion in the file or to each ticket in English.
  • All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
  • The date, time and place of the meeting are scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.
  • DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.

Call for agenda items

If you have a ticket that you want matz and committers to discuss, please post it into this ticket in the following format:

* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name)
  * Comment (A summary of the ticket, why you put this ticket here, what point should be discussed, etc.)

Example:

* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1)
  * I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss this feature.
  • It is recommended to add a comment by 2022/08/15. We hold a preparatory meeting to create an agenda a few days before the dev-meeting.
  • The format is strict. We'll use this script to automatically create an markdown-style agenda. We may ignore a comment that does not follow the format.
  • Your comment is mandatory. We cannot read all discussion of the ticket in a limited time. We appreciate it if you could write a short summary and update from a previous discussion.

Related issues 1 (1 open0 closed)

Related to Ruby master - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions
Actions #1

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 2 months ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added

Updated by zverok (Victor Shepelev) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #18368] Range#step semantics for non-Numeric ranges (zverok)
    • Proposal to reimplement (a..b).step(c) via +, or provide another method with this behavior
    • More clarifications provided & answers to the questions after last dev.meeting
  • [Bug #18580] Range#include? inconsistency for beginless String ranges
    • "This was discussed during the February 2022 developer meeting, and @matz (Yukihiro Matsumoto) said he needs more time to consider it."
  • [Feature #17330] Object#non (zverok)
    • Proposal to introduce generic "nullify if unacceptable" API (zverok)
    • more explanations and examples provided
  • [Feature #16122] Struct::Value: simple immutable value object (zverok)
    • The ticket is in weird state. It has "Status: Feedback", but generic state "CLOSED", but I don't see any notice of HOW it was closed?.. Is it RedMine glitch?.. I don't see an option to reopen it.
    • The latest comment from Matz seems to lean towards accepting proposal, the only culprit is a name: "Struct::Value seems acceptable to him, but he wanted to seek a better name. Devs suggested Tuple, NamedTuple, and Record, but none of them seemed to fit for him."
    • Can we somehow move forward with this?
  • [Feature #18934] Introduce method results memoization API in the core (zverok)
    • New ticket, proposing and justifying simple memoized def method_without_args

Updated by byroot (Jean Boussier) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #18944] Add SizedQueue#push(timeout:) (byroot)
    • Matz said this should be required separately.
    • When implementing Queue#pop(timeout:) it was very evident this was needed.
    • Spec is return self on success, nil on timeout, like pop.
    • Useful to periodically do heartbeat, drop messages, etc when waiting to push on a queue.\
  • [Feature #18885] End of boot advisory API (byroot)
    • e.g. something like RubyVM.prepare, or RubyVM.ready.
    • Would allow applications to notify the VM that they're done loading and about to process user input.
    • Could be used by the VM to enable some optimizations, such as precomputing constant caches, etc.
    • Particularly useful for forking server, but not only.

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) about 2 months ago

  • [Bug #18955] Kernel#sprintf - %c ignores a non-ASCII character's encoding (jeremyevans0)
    • Do we want the %c format specifier to transcode a string argument to the format string's encoding before taking the first character?
  • [Bug #18958] Kernel#sprintf doesn't apply format sequence in some encodings (jeremyevans0)
    • Should we raise an ArgumentError when the format string is in an incompatible encoding?
    • The encodings listed in the issue are not the same as those that are not ascii_compatible?.
    • If we do want to raise an exception for this, do we want a new encoding flag for this, or a hardcoded list of incompatible encodings?
  • [Bug #18797] Third argument to Regexp.new is a bit broken (jeremyevans0)
    • Do we want to deprecate passing a third argument to Regexp.new?
  • [Bug #18767] IO.foreach hangs up when passes limit=0 (jeremyevans0)
    • Is the current infinite loop in this case expected, or should it raise an ArgumentError as IO.readlines does?

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #18949] Deprecate and remove replicate and dummy encodings (eregon)
    • I will try to attend the dev meeting. Would it be possible to discuss this towards the end of the meeting, 16 JST (= 9am CEST) my preference, or if better 15 JST (= 8am CEST)?
    • There are multiple things to decide, see https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/18949#To-Decide
      1. (Encoding#replicate and rb_define_dummy_encoding()) is most important (for complexity & performance) and given the extremely low usage it seems safe to deprecate and then remove
      1. Handling the dummy UTF-16 and UTF-32 encodings, seems used very rarely but harder to assess. It causes significant performance overhead. Discussion e.g. in https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/18949#note-23
      1. Multiple devs want to keep (other) existing dummy encodings based on usages, so let's keep them for now. Maybe we could make them non-dummy or only available for transcoding in the future.

Updated by palkan (Vladimir Dementyev) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #18408] Allow pattern match to set non-local variables

    • That would make, in particular, 42 => @a possible
      • This addition seems natural after we added non-local vars support for pinning
      • It also "restores" the original rightward assignment functionality
    • Here is a PR attached: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/5426
  • [Feature #18821] Expose Pattern Matching interfaces in core classes

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) about 2 months ago

  • [Bug #18729] Method#owner and UnboundMethod#owner are incorrect after using Module#public/protected/private (eregon)
    • Also [Bug #18435] and [Bug #18751], they are all the same issue basically.
    • Let's attempt to stop hiding ZSUPER methods, this was never tried and I think would cause little incompatibilities. OK to try this?
    • The semantic model after that change will finally make sense for users and Ruby implementers, instance_methods reflects the method table, owner means in which module's method table the method is.
    • Also this will mean ZSUPER methods are just an internal implementation detail on CRuby, other Ruby impls are free to use something else like shallow-copy (like alias_method does) but instance_methods/owner/etc will be the same for the user.
    • The hiding is actually "exposing" ZSUPER methods to Ruby users because other Ruby implementations don't use ZSUPER methods and don't hide the visibility-created methods.

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #18159] Integrate functionality of syntax_suggest gem into Ruby
    • Is it ok for syntax_suggest?

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 2 months ago

We could not finish all the agenda in time. We will continue on 25th.

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) about 2 months ago

  • [Feature #18798] UnboundMethod#== with inherited classes (eregon)
    • OK to change UnboundMethod#== to check if same method definition (and ignore from which class instance_method was used on)?
    • If not, OK to add {Method,UnboundMethod}#same_definition?(other)?
Actions #11

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 1 month ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed
Actions #12

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 1 month ago

  • Description updated (diff)
Actions

Also available in: Atom PDF