Project

General

Profile

Actions

Misc #18174

closed

DevelopersMeeting20211021Japan

Added by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 1 month ago. Updated about 17 hours ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
[ruby-core:105310]

Description

The next dev meeting

Date: 2021/10/21 13:00-17:00 +09:00
Place/Sign-up/Agenda/Log: https://github.com/ruby/dev-meeting-log/blob/master/DevelopersMeeting20211021Japan.md

  • Dev meeting IS NOT a decision-making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
  • Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
  • Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
  • We will write a log about the discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
  • All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
  • The date, time and place are scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.
  • DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.

Call for agenda items

If you have a ticket that you want matz and committers to discuss, please post it into this ticket in the following format:

* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name)
  * Comment (A summary of the ticket, why you put this ticket here, what point should be discussed, etc.)

Example:

* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1)
  * I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss this feature.
  • It is recommended to add a comment by 2021/10/18. We hold a preparatory meeting to create an agenda a few days before the dev-meeting.
  • The format is strict. We'll use this script to automatically create an markdown-style agenda. We may ignore a comment that does not follow the format.
  • Your comment is mandatory. We cannot read all discussion of the ticket in a limited time. We appreciate it if you could write a short summary and update from a previous discussion.

Related issues

Related to Ruby master - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions
Actions #1

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 1 month ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 1 month ago

  • [Feature #18176] Make Coverage suspendable (mame)
    • I'd like to add Coverage.suspend and Coverage.resume. Any opinion?
  • [Bug #18170] Exception#inspect should not include newlines (mame)
    • I've created a PR for StandardError.new("foo\nbar") #=> #<StandardError: "foo\nbar">. I had to modify some tests. Is it acceptable?

Updated by ioquatix (Samuel Williams) 29 days ago

  • [Feature #18035] Introduce general model/semantic for immutable by default.
    • Can we agree on interface and implementation.
    • Process::Status is example use-case. Should be many more.
  • [Feature #18083] Capture error in ensure block.
    • Can we deprecate $! (& $@)? It's dangerous and every use case is better with explicit capture. Also may have some performance advantages.
  • [Feature #18020] Introduce IO::Buffer for fiber scheduler.
    • For efficient file IO we need an internal buffer with well defined semantics suitable for IO.
  • [Feature #17369] Introduce non-blocking Process.wait, Kernel.system and related methods.
    • Currently, $? is thread-local, but it should be fiber local.
    • Should we try to fix $? or deprecate it?
    • Introduce new interface? system(...) {|status| ...}?
  • [Bug #18194] No easy way to format exception messages per thread/fiber scheduler context.
    • Can we come to an agreement on what this looks like for Ruby 3.1?
    • Can we introduce fiber scheduler hook for unhandled exceptions?

Updated by shugo (Shugo Maeda) 27 days ago

  • [Bug #17429] Prohibit include/prepend in refinement modules
    • Is the name Refinement#import OK?

Updated by duerst (Martin Dürst) 21 days ago

  • [Feature #18239] Variable Width Allocation: Strings
    • Discuss deployment schedule and binary incompatibility issues.

Updated by nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) 17 days ago

  • [Feature #18242] Allow multiple assignment in logical expression
    • 1 < 2 and a, b = 2, 1 and so on.

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) 14 days ago

  • [Misc #18248] Add Feature Triaging Guide (jeremyevans0)
    • Is it OK to add a feature triaging guide and start using it triage feature requests?
  • [Bug #18066] Load did_you_mean/error_highlight even with --disable-gems (jeremyevans0)
    • Should --disable-gems also disable did_you_mean and error_highlight?
    • Most developers appear in favor, though mame (Yusuke Endoh) is against (but not strongly opposed).
  • [Bug #18187] Float#clamp() returns ArgumentError (comparison of Float with 1 failed) (jeremyevans0)
    • How should Float#clamp handle case where receiver is NaN?
    • Currently it raises ArgumentError, but that is due to implementation details, not by design.
    • Is it OK to change it to return the receiver (NaN) in this case?
  • [Bug #12436] newline argument of File.open seems not respected on Windows (jeremyevans0)
    • The option is currently ignored due to an oversight when the code was originally added.
    • Is it OK to introduce lf_newline transcoder and newline: :lf option to fix this?
    • Also, is newline: :crlf supposed to convert \r\n to \n during read only on Windows?

Updated by byroot (Jean Boussier) 11 days ago

  • [Feature #10917] Add GC.stat[:total_time] when GC profiling enabled
    • ko1 (Koichi Sasada) did submit a pull request which seem fine except maybe for 32bits support.
    • ko1 (Koichi Sasada) did also measure the overhead and it appeared small.
    • Could this feature be merged for Ruby 3.1?

Updated by byroot (Jean Boussier) 11 days ago

  • [Feature #17760] Where we should install a header file when gem install --user?
    • digest have been gemified. However its extconf.rb have $INSTALLFILES = { "digest.h" => "$(HDRDIR)" } which fail for most people because ruby's include directory is owned by root.
    • What should rubygems do here? Have a secondary user owned include directory?
    • If I have several versions of digest installed? How gems linking against it would know which version to use?
    • If there's no clear solution, with 3.1.0 approaching, should we revert that digest gemification so that 3.1.0 is actually usable?
Actions #10

Updated by nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) 8 days ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) 7 days ago

  • [Feature #18256] Change the canonical name of Thread::Mutex, Thread::Queue, Thread::SizedQueue and Thread::ConditionVariable to just Mutex, Queue, SizedQueue and ConditionVariable (eregon)
    • OK? (sorry for late addition for the meeting, we can move to next meeting if needed, but would be best to decide sooner than later)

Updated by Dan0042 (Daniel DeLorme) 6 days ago

  • [Feature #17795] Around Process.fork callbacks API (dan0042)
    • A few naming suggestions have been made; does Matz like any of them?
  • [Feature #17837] Add support for Regexp timeouts (dan0042)
    • Adding this to ruby 3.1 with a safe (high) value for Regexp.backtrack_limit would be an improvement on the current lack of limit, and would allow to get measurements from real-world applications for a better default value.

Updated by byroot (Jean Boussier) 6 days ago

  • [Feature #18254] Add an offset parameter to String#unpack and String#unpack1
    • Binary protocol parsers currently have to slice their buffer repeatedly, this new argument would save a lot of string copying.

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) 5 days ago

  • [Bug #17146] Queue operations are allowed after it is frozen. (eregon)
    • This is an obvious inconsistency and it makes no sense whenever we discuss deep freezing object graphs. Let's fix it.

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 5 days ago

We held the dev-meeting but didn't finish until the last topic. An extra meeting will be held at the next Monday.

Actions #16

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) about 17 hours ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed
  • Description updated (diff)
Actions

Also available in: Atom PDF