Project

General

Profile

Actions

Misc #17480

closed

DevelopersMeeting20210113Japan

Added by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 12 months ago. Updated 11 months ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
-
[ruby-core:<unknown>]

Description

The next dev meeting

Date: 2021/01/13 13:00-17:00
Place/Sign-up/Agenda/Log: https://github.com/ruby/dev-meeting-log/blob/master/DevelopersMeeting20210113Japan.md

  • Dev meeting IS NOT a decision-making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
  • Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
  • Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
  • We will write a log about the discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
  • All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
  • The date, time and place are scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.
  • DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.

Call for agenda items

If you have a ticket that you want matz and committers to discuss, please post it into this ticket in the following format:

* [Ticket ref] Ticket title (your name)
  * Comment (A summary of the ticket, why you put this ticket here, what point should be discussed, etc.)

Example:

* [Feature #14609] `Kernel#p` without args shows the receiver (ko1)
  * I feel this feature is very useful and some people say :+1: so let discuss this feature.
  • Comment deadline: 2021/01/06 (one week before the meeting)
  • The format is strict. We'll use this script to automatically create an markdown-style agenda. We may ignore a comment that does not follow the format.
  • Your comment is mandatory. We cannot read all discussion of the ticket in a limited time.

Related issues

Related to Ruby master - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions
Actions #1

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 12 months ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 12 months ago

  • [Feature #17472] HashWithIndifferentAccess like Hash extension (mame)
    • It is a good idea for Ruby 3.1 to provide small but immediate improvements like this. The constant name should be discussed.
  • [Feature #17473] Make Pathname to embedded class of Ruby (mame)
    • We want to make Rubygems independent with any gems. Rubygems heavily depends on Pathname. So how about making it built-in?
  • [Feature #16989] Sets: need ♥️ (mame)
    • SortedSet has been removed from set.rb, so there is no longer a dependency problem.
  • [Feature #17479] Enable to get "--backtrace-limit" value by "$-B" (mame)
    • Some libraries need to know what --backtrace-limit is specified. How about providing a command-line option -B as an alias, and a special variable $-B too?

Updated by chrisseaton (Chris Seaton) 12 months ago

  • [Feature #17327] The Queue constructor should take an initial set of items (chrisseaton)

Updated by k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun) 11 months ago

  • [Feature #16806] Struct#initialize accepts keyword arguments too by default (k0kubun)
    • Is there any update on kwargs since the last discussion? Can we introduce a warning for it in 3.1?
  • [Feature #17490] Rename RubyVM::MJIT to RubyVM::JIT (k0kubun)
    • Any objections, or suggestions to the release plan?

Updated by zverok (Victor Shepelev) 11 months ago

  • [Misc #17499] Documentation backporting (zverok)
    • Address systematic lack of docs at docs.ruby-lang.org
  • [Bug #16497] StringIO#internal_encoding is broken (more severely in 2.7) (zverok)
    • Still is, as of 3.0.0
  • [Feature #17407] Fiber.current and require 'fiber' (zverok)
    • The requirement seem to not be rethought for a long time, can it be lifted?
  • [Feature #17312] New methods in Enumerable and Enumerator::Lazy (zverok)
    • Matz approved #compact, PR is provided, can it be merged?..
  • [Feature #17330] Object#non (zverok)
    • Experimental proposal about syntax like calculation.non(&:zero?) || something
  • [Feature #16122] Struct::Value: simple immutable value object (zverok)
    • The discussion hanged a year ago with Matz saying "We need to discuss further". Maybe now after 3.0 it is the time?

Updated by Eregon (Benoit Daloze) 11 months ago

  • [Feature #17500] Move RubyVM::* to ExperimentalFeatures (eregon)
    • I think this is the best solution, for everyone. Could matz and ruby-core agree to this?

Updated by jzakiya (Jabari Zakiya) 11 months ago

Updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) 11 months ago

  • [Misc #0] Comment Deadline (marcandre)
    • Please make comment deadline closer to meetings (1 or 2 days, not 7).

Updated by nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) 11 months ago

  • [Feature #12607] Ruby needs an atomic integer (shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe))
    • dummy comment
  • [Feature #17099] Remove boolean argument and warning from Module#attr (S_H_)
    • It has been warned since 1.9.1.
  • [Feature #17485] Keyword argument for timezone in Time.new (nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada))
    • Let Time.new accept a timezone as a keyword argument, as well as Time.at and Time.now.
  • [Bug #17504] Allow UTC offset without colons per ISO-8601 (nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada))
    • Although ISO-8601 allows UTC offset to be +HHMM as well as +HH:MM, Time.new, Time#getlocal etc reject that format as invalid.
  • [Bug #17509] Custom respond_to? methods in modules break defined?(super) (benediktdeicke (Benedikt Deicke))
    • Custom respond_to? can't know the point to continue seaching the method entry.
  • [Bug #17523] Inconsistent Warning[] values in scripts loaded by -r option (nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada))
    • While -w option affects $VERBOSE for both the main and required scripts, but affects Warning[] values only in the main script.

Updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans) 11 months ago

  • [Bug #17429] Prohibit include/prepend in refinement modules (jeremyevans0)
    • I've added a pull request for this, is it OK to merge?
    • Do we want to implement a feature to copy methods from a module into a refinement, such as the :import option?
  • [Bug #17423] Prepend should prepend a module before the class (jeremyevans0)
    • Should Module#prepend add iclasses to the start of the ancestor chain if the receiver already includes the module?
    • Should Module#prepend add iclasses to the start of the ancestor chain if the receiver has already prepended the module?
    • Should Module#prepend add iclasses to the start of the ancestor chain if the ancestor chain already starts with the iclasses for the prepended module?
    • If the answer to any question is yes, can we decide on details for how prepend should work?

Updated by znz (Kazuhiro NISHIYAMA) 11 months ago

  • [Bug #17517] File.expand_path returns us-ascii when both arguments are ascii compat (znz)
    • require_relative use expand_path, and it returns us-ascii

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 11 months ago

marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) wrote in #note-8:

  • [Misc #0] Comment Deadline (marcandre)
    • Please make comment deadline closer to meetings (1 or 2 days, not 7).

Okay. In the next ticket, I will change it to 3 days and rephrase "deadline" to "recommendation".

The reason of the deadline is that a few voluntary committers (including I) hold a preparatory meeting to preread the tickets and create an agenda a few days before the dev-meeting. It is recommended to add a ticket before the pre-reading meeting.

So far, many of the pre-reading meetings were held two days before the dev-meeting (in JST). Considering a time difference, I'd like to set it to 3 days before. You can add comments after the deadline, but sorry if I miss them.

Actions #13

Updated by mame (Yusuke Endoh) 11 months ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed
  • Description updated (diff)
Actions

Also available in: Atom PDF