Project

General

Profile

Misc #14698

DevelopersMeeting20180517Japan

Added by ko1 (Koichi Sasada) over 1 year ago. Updated over 1 year ago.

Status:
Closed
Priority:
Normal
[ruby-core:86593]

Description

Date: 2018/05/17 (Thu)
Time: 14:00-18:00 (JST)
Place: Cookpad Inc. (Tokyo, Japan)
Sign-up: https://ruby.connpass.com/event/85917/
Log: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vR2LdBE87iEcEsVuUUr0G2L6LxSPeGMg_0oeHeh0HYmX36iIa9zkWYlFHilH5D4I_RBJpQnr09yOZaE/pub

Please comment your favorite ticket numbers you want to ask to discuss with your SHORT comment or summary.
(your summary/comment will help us because we don't need to read all of ticket comments)

DO NOT discuss then on this ticket, please.

From this time, we use a ticket to make dev-meeting agenda page instead of a wiki page https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki.

NOTE

Dev meeting IS NOT a decision making place. All decisions should be done at the bug tracker.
Dev meeting is a place we can ask Matz, nobu, nurse and other developers directly.
Matz is a very busy person. Take this opportunity to ask him. If you can not attend, other attendees can ask instead of you (if attendees can understand your issue).
We will write a log about discussion to a file or to each ticket in English.
All activities are best-effort (keep in mind that most of us are volunteer developers).
The date, time and place is scheduled according to when/where we can reserve Matz's time.

Agenda

Next dev-meeting

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14769

About 2.6 timeframe

preview2 will be released RubyKaigi 2018 day 1 or 2

From Attendees

  • [Bug #14699] Subtle behaviors with endless range (mame)
  • [Feature #14724] chains of inequalities (Martin)
    • Proposal by gotoken (Kentaro Goto) to allow 0 <= a < 10 as a shortcut of 0<=a && a<10, and so on; patch by Nobu avaliable

(will be edited later)
(if you have a write access permission, please list directly)

From non-attendees

  • [Feature #14697] Introducing Range#% as an alias to Range#step (mrkn)
    • Matz already commented LGTM. Please judge whether this is acceptable.
  • [Feature #14724] chains of inequations (mrkn)
    • This new syntax can also reduce the duplicated evaluations of common terms, such as timeval.tv_sec in the descriptiohn of the proposal.

Functional programming: (zverok)

  • [Feature #6284] Add composition for procs
    • 6-year-old proposal. Matz: "Positive about adding function composition. But we need method name consensus before adding it? Is #* OK for everyone?"
  • [Feature #13581] Syntax sugar for method reference
    • 1-year-old proposal. Matz: "I am for adding syntax sugar for method reference. But I don't like proposed syntax (e.g. ->). Any other idea?"
  • [Feature #11161] Proc/Method#rcurry working like curry but in reverse order
    • 3-year-old proposal with absolutely no reaction. I've added real-life examples there several months ago.
  • [Feature #14390] UnboundMethod#to_proc
  • [Feature #14423] Enumerator from single object (Object#enumerate)

Misc:

  • [Bug #14575] Switch Range#=== to use cover? instead of include? (zverok)
  • [Feature #14473] Add Range#subrange? ( greggzst )
  • [Feature #14097] Add union and difference to Array ( ana06)
  • [Feature #14105] Introduce xor as alias for Set#^ ( ana06)
  • [Misc #14760] cross-thread IO#close semantics (normal)

Docs (probably not to discuss on development meeting, but I am not sure where I can post it to have it more visible) (zverok):

(will be edited later)
(if you have a write access, please list directly)


Related issues

Related to Ruby master - Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeetingOpenActions

History

#1

Updated by mrkn (Kenta Murata) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#2

Updated by ko1 (Koichi Sasada) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#3

Updated by mrkn (Kenta Murata) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by zverok (Victor Shepelev) over 1 year ago

your favorite ticket numbers you want to ask to discuss with your SHORT comment or summary.

Functional programming:

  • [Feature #6284] Add composition for procs
    • 6-year-old proposal. Matz: "Positive about adding function composition. But we need method name consensus before adding it? Is #* OK for everyone?"
  • [Feature #13581] Syntax sugar for method reference
    • 1-year-old proposal. Matz: "I am for adding syntax sugar for method reference. But I don't like proposed syntax (e.g. ->). Any other idea?"
  • [Feature #11161] Proc/Method#rcurry working like curry but in reverse order
    • 3-year-old proposal with absolutely no reaction. I've added real-life examples there several months ago.
  • [Feature #14390] UnboundMethod#to_proc
  • [Feature #14423] Enumerator from single object (Object#enumerate)

Misc:

  • [Bug #14575] Switch Range#=== to use cover? instead of include?

Docs (probably not to discuss on development meeting, but I am not sure where I can post it to have it more visible)

Updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler) over 1 year ago

Just one comment:

From this time, we use a ticket to make dev-meeting agenda page

\o/

I think this is a good change. However had, I also think that the
wiki is very good for an "organized back-log", together with the
log summary. Not everyone can watch live edits, if only due to
time-zone issues :D but I am sure many people are interested which
changes get made to ruby, approved, rejected, request for more
comments etc... so I hope that the wiki can still be kept for
such organizational purposes, even if the tickets supercede
(part of) the wiki in this regards.

Updated by naruse (Yui NARUSE) over 1 year ago

shevegen (Robert A. Heiler) wrote:

Just one comment:

From this time, we use a ticket to make dev-meeting agenda page

I think this is a good change. However had, I also think that the
wiki is very good for an "organized back-log", together with the
log summary. Not everyone can watch live edits, if only due to
time-zone issues :D but I am sure many people are interested which
changes get made to ruby, approved, rejected, request for more
comments etc... so I hope that the wiki can still be kept for
such organizational purposes, even if the tickets supercede
(part of) the wiki in this regards.

This changed is just applied for the agenda page like https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/projects/ruby/wiki/DevelopersMeeting20180419Japan.

The wiki has an issue, other than committers cannot edit.
It is because spammers sometimes destroyed the wiki pages.
To prevent such attacks, I limited the privilege of editing wiki.

Now we use issues as agenda pages.
People can comment the issue to request adding a topic.
Committers can edit the description of issue like wiki.
(in other words we use issue's description like wiki)
This is what the decision intended.

Updated by baweaver (Brandon Weaver) over 1 year ago

zverok (Victor Shepelev) wrote:

your favorite ticket numbers you want to ask to discuss with your SHORT comment or summary.

Functional programming:

Misc:

Docs (probably not to discuss on development meeting, but I am not sure where I can post it to have it more visible)

I would second this list, especially #6284 (composition of Procs) and #13581 (syntax sugar for method reference)

Updated by baweaver (Brandon Weaver) over 1 year ago

I would also like to propose that this be discussed as it recently came up: https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14709

Though it may be premature.

Updated by ko1 (Koichi Sasada) over 1 year ago

Hi,

I will copy & paste topics to ticket's "description" later so that please follow the format to make easy to copy&paste.

mrkn's exmaple is perfect:

* [Feature #14697] Introducing Range#% as an alias to Range#step (mrkn)
  * Matz already commented LGTM. Please judge whether this is acceptable.

Thank you for your help.

Updated by zverok (Victor Shepelev) over 1 year ago

please follow the format to make easy to copy&paste.

ko1 (Koichi Sasada) I've updated my comment with a list of "functional programming" tickets.

#13

Updated by mrkn (Kenta Murata) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#14

Updated by mrkn (Kenta Murata) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by duerst (Martin D├╝rst) over 1 year ago

  • [Feature #14724] chains of inequalities
    • Proposal by gotoken (Kentaro Goto) to allow 0 <= a < 10 as a shortcut of 0<=a && a<10, and so on; patch by Nobu avaliable

Updated by ana06 (Ana Maria Martinez Gomez) over 1 year ago

Hi!

I would that the following issues are discussed in the meeting:

  • [Feature #14097] Add union and difference to Array (ana06)
    • Addition of two new methods in aim of readability, ease of use, efficiency and consistence. There are already PR for both methods.
  • [Feature #14105] Introduce xor as alias for Set#^ (ana06)
    • The exclusive or is known as xor in mathematics, hardware and many other programming languages. An alias in Set (and maybe other classes) in aim of readability and ease of use.

I would also really like to join the meeting if it is possible ;)

Updated by normalperson (Eric Wong) over 1 year ago

Please discuss what cross-thread IO#close semantics should be
for threads stuck in IO.select and IO.copy_stream:
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14760

Thank you. I am ambivalent about the outcome, but it would
help me plan support for future features like auto-fiber.

#18

Updated by ko1 (Koichi Sasada) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by ko1 (Koichi Sasada) over 1 year ago

Hi all,

The format is:

* [Ticket info] Ticket-Title (proposer)
  * Short-comment

And I can copy&paste :)
I edited with some editions.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Koichi

Updated by ana06 (Ana Maria Martinez Gomez) over 1 year ago

ko1 (Koichi Sasada) I edited my comment, I hope it is fine now. ;)

BTW, is it possible I join the meeting? It would be fine if I join only for those two issues. :)

Updated by shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe) over 1 year ago

Hello, this is my private feeling so please don't take this as a canon.

I think it's a good idea to make the meeting more open. To do so several technical issues are there to be fixed. First, there is no extra staff to welcome you right now -- like we don't have crew to livecast our meeting. You might say it's okay to be "best effort". But the developers at the meeting are there to discuss the issues. They are not there to make "effort" on that point. Second, I think there are chances for us to welcome only one person but very skeptic if it works for, say, 20 people. The meeting obviously does not scale. What to do then? We have to select someone by something? That doesn't sound well.

That being said, I think it's a good idea to make the meeting more open. The problems I wrote above exist but they are only being technical I believe. I hope we can reroute them... Maybe we can't make them for tomorrow meeting though.

Updated by ana06 (Ana Maria Martinez Gomez) over 1 year ago

shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe)

I think there are chances for us to welcome only one person but very skeptic if it works for, say, 20 people. The meeting obviously does not scale. What to do then? We have to select someone by something? That doesn't sound well.

Well, if nobody else asked until now to join the meeting, maybe nobody also asks it in future. And it is not a problem that exist at the moment. ;)

Anyway, if it is not possible that I join, I completely understand it. I am already happy that there is a discussion about those issues. :) And if it is possible, jut let me now how! ;)

I think it's a good idea to make the meeting more open.

+1

Updated by naruse (Yui NARUSE) over 1 year ago

ana06 (Ana Maria Martinez Gomez) wrote:

shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe)

I think there are chances for us to welcome only one person but very skeptic if it works for, say, 20 people. The meeting obviously does not scale. What to do then? We have to select someone by something? That doesn't sound well.

Well, if nobody else asked until now to join the meeting, maybe nobody also asks it in future. And it is not a problem that exist at the moment. ;)

Anyway, if it is not possible that I join, I completely understand it. I am already happy that there is a discussion about those issues. :) And if it is possible, jut let me now how! ;)

Thank you for your passion and understanding.
At this time this meeting is closed because of both technical and human resource problems.
Technical issues are as shyouhei said.

Human resource issues are because this meeting is held based on voluntary.
Because of this, the meeting includes some internal topics for example security, money for ruby related sites and machines, release engineering and so on.
Ideally such topics should be in separated meeting but we don't have enough resource.
(note that more than half of the regular member are still non full time Ruby comitter)
To keep this meeting sustainable, it is still closed for a while.
(the experiment to use redmine issues to handle topics of this meeting is also intended to make this meeting open without increasing the cost)

Of course I wish this meeting can be public in the future...

#24

Updated by nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#25

Updated by nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#26

Updated by nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#27

Updated by hsbt (Hiroshi SHIBATA) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)
#28

Updated by naruse (Yui NARUSE) over 1 year ago

  • Related to Misc #14770: [META] DevelopersMeeting added
#29

Updated by naruse (Yui NARUSE) over 1 year ago

  • Status changed from Open to Closed
#31

Updated by ko1 (Koichi Sasada) over 1 year ago

  • Description updated (diff)

Updated by shevegen (Robert A. Heiler) over 1 year ago

Thanks for the link to the log shyouhei!

Also available in: Atom PDF